You are here
Volunteer Opportunities at Austin German Shepherd Rescue
Urgent Need for Fosters
"Somebody needs to help that dog"! Somebody? That somebody is you!!
Imagine a world without strays or homeless dogs. We could accomplish that almost overnight if every family would foster just one dog. Just one dog! Be just one dog's somebody. You won't regret it. If you are interested in becoming a foster please apply here to become a foster. You can read more about foster responsibilities on our foster program page.
Below is a list of our other current volunteer opportunities. Won't you become part of the AGSDR family and become a volunteer?
The Committee members would be responsible for identifying event opportunities which will maximize exposure to strengthen our mission. They would manage relationships with event vendors. One committee member should attend each event. Committee Members would assist with planning, organizing, and implementation of event commitments. This would include sending a note out to Austin German Shepherd Rescue volunteers at a minimum of two weeks in advance, asking volunteers to attend the event and help in the following areas:
1. Set up: Volunteer would visit our storage unit to pick up the required supplies for the event (i.e. table, chairs, 3-4 boxes containing supplies). Arrive at the event location with the supplies to set up 15 minutes prior to the start of the event.
2. Tear Down: Volunteer would dismantle the table/chairs, box up supplies and return supplies to our storage unit at the conclusion of the event.
3. Fosters and Foster Dogs: Coordinate with current fosters to ensure the foster dogs in their care (if available for adoption) are able to attend the event. In the case where we may not have foster dogs attending, reach out to our volunteers and request representation at the event with Alumni/Ambassador dogs.
4. Leash Handlers: Two or more volunteers to help with leash holding of the dogs in attendance.
5. Volunteers to mingle with public to explain our mission, volunteer opportunities, adoption process, manage donations/sales of items on hand, hand out business cards, etc.
6. Transport Volunteers: Transport dogs to and from events as needed.
The committee members are responsible for pro-actively finding and applying for funding to cover the expenses of intakes, events, merchandise, etc. The committee will communicate and collaborate with other committee members to know what fundraising goals are needed. The Committee will review funder websites, application guidelines and determine appropriateness of potential funders. The committee will work together to identify areas of need where a grant would help solve a problem or fill a need. The committee will research, write, and prepare grant proposals and reports that align with our mission to rescue rehabilitate and re-home German Shepherds. The committee will act as community liaison with businesses/groups/corporations for sponsorship.
- Intake Coordinator: Duties will include:
- Handling all intake request sent to intake email address.
- Overseeing evaluation and temperament testing of dogs
- Managing relationships with foster volunteers and intake resources (i.e. Shelters, owner surrenders)
- Evaluating medical/vetting requirements and funding required to meet those requirements
- Managing transport and foster support
- Experience with the German Shepherd breed and characteristics is required. Must have strong interpersonal skills and experience evaluating dogs and temperament testing.
- Home Visits needed (these are where we go the home of potential adopters to assess various aspects of the home and family we’re adopting to). These are quick and easy to do, generally taking 30 minutes to an hour.
- Reference checks and Application checks are another need. You might want to start with home visits and then add reference checks before you do applications!
- Foster Homes needed (you will have to fill out a foster application form after reading about our foster program information
- Temporary Foster Homes needed you will have to fill out a foster application form after reading about our foster program information. If you can't foster full time, but could take a dog for a week or weekend, please apply! This is a huge need!
- Ready to volunteer? Fill out our volunteer application!